Friday, December 18, 2009

Running Man part 2

I went for a run this morning. My sister is coming to town for New Years and I better get in shape. I asked her to help me get on an exercise program, and I just know she's going to absolutely kill me. :) (and I want her to)

I decided to run around the track so I know for *sure* that I ran a mile without stopping. I was surprised to find the running man there. I blogged about him a while back. He's the one who is probably in his 60s or 70s and runs like a machine.

I didn't notice him at first, but as I was completing lap number one I saw him ahead of me. I desperately wanted to run faster and with more precision. But alas, wheezing and struggling I neared him. Then I realized that he was facing me. At first I was alarmed, but then I saw that He was walking very quickly...backwards. He had quite a pained look on his face.

I strode by him with all the grace of an elephant on ice, hoping he didn't notice my out-of-shape-ness. A few minutes later I was passing him again. He was still walking backwards.

I finished my mile and walked a lap before jogging to Engine House #9 for lunch with Shane and George. (no I didn't have cheese OR bread with my soup, therfore I'm sure I lost weight) As I walked I watched the Running Man. He had stopped walking backwards and I saw that he had a pronounced limp. Boy what a change from the Running Man I saw a while ago! He had a hard time walking. It was obviously painful for him.

He was walking backwards because that is what he could do. He could no longer run around the track looking like the Terminator who never gets tired. I kept staring at him as he bent and picked up some debris and started cleaning a section of the track. Even though he was in pain, and probably frustrated with his lack of ability, he did these things. He did what he could do, and he did what he needed to do.

And it inspired me yet again. If I see Running Man a third time, I'm going to talk to him. He has no idea that he is an inspiration to a stay-at-home mom trying to get some things in order in her life. I'm really thankful for Running Man. If he can do it, I can do it.

All I have to do is what I CAN. And what I NEED to do. And the Lord will give me the strength I need.

No comments:

Post a Comment