Friday, November 13, 2009

Running Man

I went running today. But not just running. I also did a ton of stairs, sit ups, push ups and all kinds of horribly painful things. I wasn't going to do all of that but someone motivated me. After running about 2 miles I realized I wasn't alone. There on the UPS track with me was an older gentleman. And he was lapping me. A lot. I think he ran about 3 or 4 miles and I'm pretty sure he wasn't human. He was a machine.

I watched him while I did strength training and he inspired me. My guess is that he was in his 60's. He ran like a military man and he was focused. It was quite impressive and helped me to try harder. I appreciated him.

We never truly know who is watching us. Obviously our families are. Our children definitely are. But I wonder who else. Grocery store, car, yard, running, restaurant...people can see my mood, behavior, treatment of others. And I wonder if they are inspired? I'm positive the answer is not always.

When I was a pastor I was very aware of all the eyes on me. I lived in a fish bowl and so did my family. I loved serving people and ministering those in need. I enjoyed many things of full-time ministry in a church. But I also endured all the things you encounter when working with people. And when I resigned, I took a very long break from feeling obligated to be available for everyone.

I stopped caring if I was inspiring anyone. It was refreshing for a while in all honesty. I wanted to focus on my family and close friends only. So I did.

But I care now. I really do. I realize there are people around me constantly in my every day life. Someone may be watching me next time I run around the track at UPS. I'm sure they're watching me as I wait in line to buy my Zesty Guacamole. I want to be aware of the people around me and my impact on them.

That running man has no idea that he inspired me in several ways. Thanks running man!

No comments:

Post a Comment